Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?

In the assigned video, I believe Dr. Strange is making sure we "know" the facts of our growing society: in size and in knowledge. The information and statics on technology usage today versus what it was only three to four years ago is mind-blowing. The funny thing is you don't need the numbers to know that technology has caused our world to change drastically. I remember getting a cell phone in seventh grade at the age of 13 and only because my parents both traveled for work and needed to keep in touch. That $.99 flip phone was nothing compared to my 10 year-old-cousin's iPhone 5 now. Today technology is so much easier to obtain that even a four year old can have a personal iPad. But what does that mean for this new breed of learner?

Imagine. That used to be a word frequently used in my classes growing up. Fellow classmates and I had to imagine, for example, the magnitude of a solar flare compared to the size of the Earth. But today, students can easily wait for their teacher to google an image or video and show them.

An extremely long solar filament shoots out from the sun on Aug. 31, 2012. The coronal mass ejection traveled at over 900 miles per second. The image also shows an image of Earth in the lower-left hand corner that shows the size of flare compared to the size of our planet.
A 500,000-Mile Long Solar Flare Exploes From the Sun
Now the universe is literally a finger swipe away because there's an app for that. I think Dr. Strange is trying to show that most of the methods used by our teachers will be of little use on such a technologically based generation of students. We as future teachers should be up-to-date with technology because the students we will encounter in the future are definitely going to be up-to-date on the newest and latest tech. Also, we need to be looking into new educational technology ourselves. If we're teaching students who will be using technology not yet created, then we should be teaching them out to adjust to new technology now. By bringing in new products or programs they've never seen, you open their minds to learning how to adjust for future technological advances in their lives and workplaces. You're not only adding to your own curriculum, but helping them learn a valuable skill that will help them keep up in a world of continually advancing technology.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

I think Mr. Winkle is unfortunately showing the reality of many classrooms today: a teacher unwilling to stray from teaching methods they've used for years and a new generation of learners unable to stay focused during class. Today's students rely too heavily on technology, me included. But why listen to a teacher's lecture when I can google the topics and, many times, find the blogs or videos of a different teacher who has brought a new and updated light on the topic I’m currently learning.

Instead of leaving students to find interesting blogs or videos on their own, why not be the teacher that uses them to your advantage? If you see your students struggling to understand or not paying attention to your lectures, maybe take a break and show them a video from another teacher. The internet is a vast place and it's easier than ever to find fellow teachers willing to share their technics and ideas to help keep your class fun and exciting for your students. In my opinion, it is impossible to be a great teacher in today's society and not be using technology in the classroom.


Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

In the video Sir Ken Robinson discusses his opinion of today’s school systems and how the current set up is hindering children’s creativity. Our education system is structure so that it covers the average student and their learning style, when in reality learning is extremely individualized. Unfortunately, if a student in today's society just can't sit still or focus on the subject at hand they're tossed to the side and labeled as ADD. It's not that the student isn't smart; they're just not made to sit still for hours at a time listening to a lesson. Instead of creating a system that helps "busy body" students blossom, we've created one that tells them they're unlikely to succeed. Growing up, many of the people I believed to be "smart" were people who were simply able to retain facts and spit them back at me. As I encountered more people throughout my life I've found that I was wrong.

During his speech, Sr. Robinson defines creativity as "the process of having original ideas that have value." Have you ever had a younger sibling or family member that constantly asked "why?" when they were younger? At the time it probably seemed silly and annoying but I think we all should revert back to that "why" stage. Many students who have ADD or other learning disabilities constantly ask why. Teachers and leaders in the field of education should strive to build a system that doesn't muffle the whys. Every child is different and I feel that we should build a hierarchy of teaching with the flexibility to encompass every type of student.


Pinterest: Using Available Resources

I LOVE Pinterest and use it daily. I will definitely be using pinterest to help organize my lesson plans. Because of the setup, pinterest is a great way to find teachers to network and collaborate with. I would love to make a class account where students could pin interesting things they have found and want to expand on more in class. Also, after reading the article "Four Ways to Use Pinterest in Education" I would like to see how students used the site to work together on a group project. The students would all have an organized area to throw their ideas together. In the same fashion, teachers within the same subject matter could also use a school wide board to share school event ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Paula,
    I agree with your comments on Sir Ken Robinson's take on modern teaching and on Mr. Winkle Wakes. We do use more technology today than we did in the past and its availability is growing more every day but that does not mean that in order for us to learn we are to cut it all out. Instead we need to use it and anything else that will keep a child’s attention so that they want to learn. To keep to the old ways simply because it is easier will cause generations of children to hate learning about the world and it is pass time for a change. I know that I do not want to be a teacher whose only form of teaching is lectures and nothing more; I want my children to go home still excited from our day and not say that it was boring.
    When I was eighteen I found out that I had a mental disorder. All of the doctors were shocked that I did not know sooner and, looking back, I'm glad. I might have been given medication to slow me down or, worst, been told to simple "STOP" as if I had control over it but thankfully I had parents and teachers who helped me fight. As a child my autism was at its worst and I feared that I might have been placed in the special education class had my mom not fought and had a friend teach me to speak. To this day I still remember going over my vowels with her and, even when I missed up, listening to her and my mom telling me not to give up.
    I often wonder how many of these "experts" who claim to know the best way to "handle" a child with a mental disorder would like these same chains on their own children. I do not see someone who could shout back what the teacher taught as smart but instead one who can link it to other subjects and ask what would happen. If you were to start teaching today I have two questions: how would you start the class day and what would you teach first?
    Sincerely,
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cari, thank you so much for your comment! I've unfortunately seen many of my own family members not receive the same help and encouragement from their parents and friends that you did. I hope to be a teacher that gives encouragement and help that these students lack. As for your questions, I'm not really sure what I would teach first probably the basic beginnings of biology. I do know that I would like to start every class by telling my students about something scientific happening at the moment, relating it to our lessons or showing them something they may want to look into pursuing as careers.

      Delete