Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student

Connectivism is the theory that learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties. Have you ever wished you could decide what materials were covered in a class lecture? Wendy Drexler’s video “Networked Student” shares how students are expanding their education through connectivism. According to the video, connectivism is the theory that learning occurs as part of a social network of many connections and ties. In classrooms around the country students are using the internet and social networks to do their own research and talk with experts, essentially teaching themselves.
http://devoncreativemedia.com/dcmwp/get-connected/

However, like I did, you’re probably wondering why the student even needs a teacher if they’re just learning from other sources and people. Drexler’s video addresses this very question and explains she is there to help student’s navigate and survive the massive treasure hunt that awaits them on the internet. She is their North Star. She teaches them how to find information, how to decipher a reliable source from an unreliable one, and how to understand and interpret their findings.

I have to say that originally I was a bit skeptical of this method, especially for students in middle school. However, I realized that more and more of my own college courses have begun to move to a format a few steps from connectivism. I think it’s a great idea but I’m not sure I would be comfortable using it every day in my classroom. In my opinion this would be a great way to approach for students to use connectivism for a project. By giving them the power to research a topic on their own, they’re receiving an individualized education. They can find examples and materials that may be different from those of another student’s. I think it is an extremely fascinating and innovative way to keep students interested in class material.

7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment

In Mrs. Drexler’s video depicts a seventh grader’s personal learning environment (PLE). In the video the student shows how she uses her PLE to keep class research and assignments neat and organized in one location thanks to Symbaloo. My PLE (PLN) is not nearly as large but it’s getting there. I’m also hoping to get more proficient at using my Symbaloo account to keep my PLN organized.

2 comments:

  1. Paula,

    Enjoyed reading your post. I agree college class are formatted with the theory of connectivism. What would Socrates think of this? The essence of the method is that through careful questioning by the teacher, students can come to realize the truth of a situation without being told it directly. For Socrates argument and learning was inserted in real dialogues. Great blog!

    Kim Templeton

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She is their North Star." I like that!

    Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete