Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post #7

http://raisingfigureskaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DChitwoodWeCannotChangeTheCards.png

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Dr. Randy Pausch was quite an inspiration and for anyone unaware of his story I urge you to take a few minutes to find a few videos and do a little research. He is just one of the many people who were taken too soon. However, he still lives on thanks to his family, friends, students who share his message still.

In Dr. Pausch's Last Lecture he discusses several methods he used while teaching and the lessons he learned while finding these methods. A few that stuck out the most to me included:
-Having fun
-Refusing to give up
-Teaching indirectly
Having fun was, in my opinion, one of the most important points made by Dr. Pausch in his lecture. I think some of the greatest moments in my educational journey have been in classes with teachers/professors who knew how to make class fun and interesting. I hope to create a classroom where learning is fun, not boring or pointless to students. It breaks my heart to listen to my younger family members' answers when I ask what they're learning about in school and they say "nothing." I only wish to be the teacher who's students can't wait to tell their parents what they've learned, and how much fun they have in the process.

In many of our assignments the method of indirect learning keeps reappearing. Dr. Pausch gives an example of how playing football, or any team sport, is "head fake" learning. Players are learning the sport, sure, but they're also learning other lessons that they may not be aware of. I think this is a great method that all teachers should practice. Indirect learning pairs well with having fun. We learn from experience and by using indirect learning and fun students can learn multiple skills and lessons and not even be aware. It's great to know you'd not only be teaching them whatever subject you teach, but also skills they can use the rest of their lives.

Dr. Pausch speaks about many of the brick walls he faced while trying to fulfill his dreams. Life's brick walls are only there to keep out the people who don't truly want whatever is behind them. Dr. Pausch's message of never giving up is one that I will definitely be using in my classroom: for myself and my students. There will definitely be plenty of days when I want to walk away from my students. There will surely be days when the world seems to be against me. But I must remember that these obstacles are simply lifes brick walls and it's just making sure I'm giving 100%. I believe the never give up attitude e Dr. Pausch conveyed should be shared with more students. Too many students simply stop in their educational journey because life places a few brick walls in front of them. These students need teachers who are willing to help them find the right tools to knock those walls down, brick by brick.

Dr. Pausch's Last Lecture is filled with so much love and wisdom. It's impossible to watch and not be moved. It should continue to be shared so that he can continue to be an inspiration for future generations.

2 comments:

  1. "-Having fun
    -Refusing to give up
    -Teaching indirectly"

    I couldn't have picked a better three points! Your points are exactly what he was lecturing on. His entire lecture just makes me what to be a better person. I hope to be half the educator he makes me want to be.

    I agree with your statement about students needing teachers to provide tools to tear down brick walls. It's the same point I tried to convey in my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete